Welcome to the forum

Ashwell — Wells-next-the-Sea 123 mile ride, Friday 5th Sept 2014, 8:00am

edited July 2014 in General
Owdo

Take Friday 5th September off and man-up/woman-up for the end of summer Ashwell to Wells-Next-The-Sea CC Ashwell Classic ride to the Norfolk coast. In my opinion, the best* annual point-to-point Classic the Club does. There's something rewarding about cycling to the coast.

We’ll be starting from the Three Tuns at 8:00am to navigate the almost pan flat lanes to pretty WNTS. We will be going at all-inclusive pace. It’s a great way to bookend whatever season you’ve had with a big club ride.

From Wells, as before, it’s a 20 mile tootle to Kings Lynn station for the train back after fish and chips overlooking the harbour. I’d estimate getting back to Ashwell environs 7pm ish. Without puncture delays.

If 123 miles total seems a lot to you, ask those that have done it before, because the lack of climbing really makes a difference in the effort. Also, the more who come along, the bigger the draft – so all aboard! Remember too, the route takes us past the nearby stations back, so if you only want to come as far as Ely or Downham Market – happy days. Last year, Jill made it, having only ridden 60-something miles before in one ride. Three years ago, Bob did it just fine.

Having said all that, I just need to underline that everyone is responsible for their own selves on this ride. I recommend thicker tyres, something to pick flints out of tyres. Bring cash. And we should pack at least one spare tyre for the group. In the deepest parts of Norfolk, there’s not an awful lot of bike shop actionne.

Let’s try and avoid the 12 [twelve] punctures from 2013…

The route keeps us off the busy roads, barring a tiny part of the orribl’ A10 where caution is required. Highlights include, Ely, Flandersesque Ten-Mile-Bank, watching the tornados taking off at RAF Marham and going through Holkham Estate to the bemusement of the National Trust punters.

Lowlights include the food stop at Narborough. A little town trapped in time like some episode of Sapphire & Steel. You will need to bring your own butties and jelly babies as there’s nowt much more than a bench and bus stop there. I’m happy to help out continue the tradition of the Belgian beer and Crumps sausage roll fest.

The weather might play its part. If the forecast is shocking, we will have to think about cancellation.

A few top of head thoughts;

• Please check your tyres and bike condition.
• If there’s a puncture, please all use the time to check your tyres for flints.
• Keep it super tidy on the A1198 up Arrington hill. And A10, of course.
• No stopping unless we are all agreed/aware we are stopping.
• Only strong and confident riders at the very back and front please.
• I’d avoid too many chips. They can be like lead weights. Fish and peas is best.
• The Fenman pub is nice enough at King’s Lynn for a refreshment. There’s also a big Morrisons just a minute from the station.
• Buy your train ticket back in groups of four to get a discount.
• Every finisher gets a limited edition badge. Supreme heroism and audacity brings on the Double Badger.
• It’s less the legs and more the eating on this ride it seems. Keep eating/pack more than you think.
• Sunrise 6.20am, Sunset 7.40pm. Bring decent lights.

No one will mind if other people outside of the Club join in. The more the merrier. If it’s a big group, we will split it.

* Only.

Comments

• Great, thanks for organising Martin.
    Will probably jump on at the hand car wash on A1198
  • Martin

pencil me in for this had agreat time last year even with all the punctures.hope tim comes with that huge saddle bag (funny).

strappy
  • Matt: Cool. Or as they say at that car wash... na zdravi!

Aye Strappy - the punctures didn't spoil it really. I believe we were undone by one of those street cleaning vehicles - the irony! - and Belgian toothpaste roads. Feeling luckier this year.
  • Looks good but just wondered what kind of pace yo are going to ride at?
    Pete
  • on it

thanks martin!!
  • Pace... When Bob did it with us three years ago, I recorded 16.8mph av total. [17.4mph to Wells]. Easy going when you figure in the prevailing tailwind and mostly flat roads all the way to Wells.

I did the maths once. There's less climbing on this ride over 100 miles than once up Coombe Hill to Therfield or something like that.
  • Thanks Martin, i guess you just have to remember to stop when you get to the sea!!
    Pete
  • edited July 2014
    Anyone fancy going there and back for a laugh?

Ashwell to Wells. Fish and chips. Pint. Then back again to Ashwell instead of the 20m ride to Kings Lynn.
    Roughly 200m.
  • edited July 2014
    I'll join in for the first few miles again, unfortunately have to work in the eve otherwise I'd be well up for the 200... Might see if I can take the night off and do it anyway... Watch this space
  • robbie i'd consider that, I really need the miles!!!
  • I'm in for this one. One way.
  • edited July 2014
    Bon! La Ashwell
  • hahahaaaaaaaa. Plus ca change. :-)
  • Je veux rouler, mais seulement la 200km route.

Un troisieme badge peut-etre?
  • I've no idea what you're on about Vic. But it wouldn't be a Wells trip without you...

Bring yer Garmin!!
  • Hopefully not riding in the dark this time (unlike Robbie's Group), might be able to see my Garmin without riding into anyone!
  • Should be ok with me but wont be certain until a bit nearer the time. Will dust off the capacious carradice!
  • I would be up for this.. will pencil day off work
  • I'd love to do this. Its just 3 weeks after the Pru 100 so I should be strong enough for the miles. Just worried I might bring the pace down - 17.4 sounds speedy for a ton? And I've only done a max of 104 miles. I think I'm a definitely maybe.... perhaps. For sure.
  • you'll do fine Gwen. Don't worry about speed. Martin's advice above is correct. It's flat and usually wind assisted. Have fun.
  • I'm in. I'll meet at Arrington too.
  • Looks like a fun day out and booked the day off work so I can join the ride.

Weather permitting I'll be there.
  • I would really like to do this one - seems like it's become a CCA classic - but it would have to be at a tad steadier pace (16s) and probably arriving at Wells for the second sitting of Fish & Peas (Martin L says no chips)!

Anyone else around in the same boat..?
  • I want to do this ride as well.
    However my issue is the day.
    I would have to do it on a Saturday, so anyone interested in a Saturday towards the end of September?
    Adam
  • John - if it's 16mph that suits - that's fine. Whatever suits us all. It's a grand day out, not chasing down a 'gold time' sorta thing.
  • Booked the day off, looks like a great club day out.
    Looking forward to it.
  • Day booked off and looking forward to it
  • Current list of Yes and Probables...

Martin L
    Matt S
    Strappy
    Nathaniel
    Pete2
    Robbie
    Will
    Phil F
    Vic
    Tim D
    Jess L
    Gwen
    Stiggers
    Jeremy P
    John M
    Tom D
    Dominic B
  • Add me as a possible please. Linda and I have been invited to a wedding the next day and I have to be in church all spruced up in wedding gear so am debating with myself whether I will be in a fit state, etc.
  • Day booked off, Great Day out .
    Robert B